Friday, January 22, 2010

The Grateful Dead – Dick’s Picks Volume 23


I chose this because it is yet another disc that I have not listened to from start to finish as it was intended. While I had listened to most every song, I never took the opportunity to start on Disc 1, Song 1 and let it play through…and once again I wish I had done it sooner.

The concert originally took place on September 17, 1972 at the Baltimore Civic Center in Baltimore Maryland. This show was almost 3 months to the day after Ron “Pigpen” McKernan’s last show with the band.

The album opens with a classic cover of Chuck Berry’s “The Promised Land” which is always a good start to a concert. The first set is loaded with amazing tunes such as “Sugaree”, a 10:55 version of “Bird Song”, a cover of the Johnny Cash classic “Big River”, and my personal favorite from Disc 1 “China Cat Sunflower >> I Know You Rider.”

Disc 2 is equally great with another strong track list. Opening up with an 18:48 “Playing in the Band” that has some of the best jamming out of the entire concert. The only down fall to this song is Donna Jean Godchaux (wife of then keyboardist Keith Godchaux) and her attempts to emphasize the vocals. Normally she does a great job with backing vocals, just not here. Some other notables are a great version of “Loser”, “Jack Straw”, and “Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo.”

One thing that I noticed about discs 1 & 2 is that there were not very many long songs or long jams, I am guessing that the band noticed that as well since the shortest song on Disc 3 is 7:22. The third disc also the longest song I have every seen, “The Other One” clocks in a 39:07 and it’s just mesmerizing.

The great thing about all of the “Dick’s Picks” volumes is that they are widely available and all very good, this one however is one of my favorites. What I love about listing to live Dead shows are just the emotions that get from the band. It’s a joyful feeling even on the bluesy songs and ballads that will stay with you for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment